Screen Printing

To develop my imagery further, I decided to do some screen printing experiments. I used a similar collage-type method by drawing the body parts separately and exposing them separately onto the screen so that I could mix and match them.





I used a mixture of graphite, soft pastel and black pen to create the images, however the graphite wasn’t dark enough so it didn’t expose well. I may make another smaller screen to re-do these parts that got lost during exposure.

First prints:

I started off with a black layer, trying different types of paper – which created some nice textures – such as somerset satin, watercolour paper and coloured paper.


The paper above felt almost like fabric and made some really interesting textures, this coupled with the fact that I hadn’t mixed the medium into the ink properly is what caused it, but this was definitely a happy accident!

Afterwards I added a white layer over the top:

I think this came out well! Though it’s subtle, it gives the figure a certain ambiguity which is what I am trying to achieve.



There was meant to be slightly more to these arms (see below) but that was what the screen didn’t pick up from the graphite! Risked it didn’t I! I am still quite happy with how this turned out though, as it carries ambiguity also. I also enjoy the line texture the paper creates, it adds another element to it. I think it needs maybe one more layer to balance out the black.

Second prints:




I made the orange textured marks using acrylic paint which I then exposed onto the screen and this worked well. The top part of the figure is a mixture of black pen & graphite – which again didn’t expose very well. I think this needs another layer also. I liked the coloured paper (just above) but it crinkled after drying, so I think the thicker watercolour paper worked the best, along with the somerset! Altogether I have about 8 prints so it will be fun to experiment with them more!


SIP Review So Far

Last week I found myself unsure of how to continue my project further. After a group tutorial encouraging me to review my work and combine my images together, I decided to start making this imagery.



I then started to experiment with adding in realistic features:






I then realised that all of my figures were forward-facing, and it could be more interesting to try to draw them from different angles, so below I’ve tried to depict some of them as if I am looking up at them from the ground, from the side and from above.



Artists & Research

I have done some further research into more artists that distort the human figure and artists that focus on the female figure.


Joan Miro

Paula Rego


Exhibition: The Female Gaze: Women Look At Women 2009

In my search for exploring how women view women in the visual arts, I found an exhibition that happened in 2009 with some interesting artworks:

Joan Semmel

Lisa Yuskavage


Marylin Minter


Marylin Minter, Wangechi Gold 5

Exhibition: Nasty Women

I went to the Nasty Women exhibition in Shoreditch on the 8th March:

‘To celebrate International Women’s Day we have joined forces with Nasty Women New York, Amsterdam, Lisbon, North East, and London to celebrate the work of international feminist artists.’

It was great! There were so many artworks there made by all kinds of women and in all kinds of ways. These were some of my favourites:



Natasha Monfared, Veiled Volleyball,

























Isabel Rock,


Kei Maye, A Piece Of Peace,







Laura Mulvey: Visual Pleasure & Narrative Cinema



Freud’s view on women

Karen Horney – questioning Freud’s theories


Kimberlé Crenshaw





Here I have tried to create more figures but this time using paint!


Below, I have taken an Ancient Minoan figurine and attempted to make a kind of female structure by multiplying them. I think that they look a bit like cookies – specifically gingerbread men – so maybe not the way to go?


Above I have taken some drawings of mine and combined them to make a face, but there are parts that could also look like a body. I am finding that locating figures inside of a larger figure has very interesting outcomes!

I have tried to create more of my own here and attempted to draw it from a few different angles so it looks like it’s turning around!




Following my tutorial this week, I think my outcome needs to be moving. This is because I’m trying to portray the female figure in a way that isn’t just one thing, it is ever-changing and evolving all the time, which is why I don’t think a static image would work. I am considering creating some small figurines with clay and using stock motion animation, or creating an animation a bit like the one above, there are so many ways to do it but either way it will be moving.

More Artists




I really love the different/oversized proportions Alva Skog uses here!!



These illustrations vary in terms of abstraction and some have more details whilst others contain minimal detail, but they still use varying proportions and are so beautiful!!




Venus Uncovered

Venus Uncovered – Bettany Hughes


This was an amazing documentary! I learnt so much about the history of Aphrodite/Venus and how religion and the male gaze depicted people’s perceptions of her. These are some of my notes from it which I will condense into a few bullet points of key information:






Follow-up from The British Museum

I did some exercises with the figures I had drawn from the British Museum.







This allowed me to really look at my drawings and find figures within figures e.g. a figure within a drawing I had already made, for example the lips and nose together (with the rest of the drawing cropped out) could look like a body. This made me then want to experiment with using blocks of colour, rather than lines, and maybe after that combining the two.